Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mom Moments

Moms know how unique each child is. Recently, I had special moments with each of my three. See if you can relate. If you cannot, try to recall your own special moments to share. Why?

Because (sing to the tune of "We Are Family")

We are Mom-mees.
We got family stor-or-ees.


Summary:

Oldest child, 23, who has moved back home, walks in door from work and announces: "I had my first conference call today."
Me: "OK."
Her: "Hel-lo. This is grown-up stuff. You know, Big Deal and everything. You might want to write it in my baby book."

Second child, boy, home for the day from college (exercise science major).
Me: "OK, body-major Boy, tell me why my toes keep Charley-Horsing around. They curl up under my feet or they spread east and west or one random one will pull up away from the crowd like it's being Raptured. What in the heck is this? How can I fix this?"

Him: "I don't know. Look it up on the Internet. That's what I'm going to tell my clients someday.

Me: "Good idea. Why shouldn't you be stingy with all that knowledge you're stashing away and make sure you live as long as you can and who cares about anyone else, right?"

Him: "Just kidding. You're out of potassium. Potassium level is related to muscle control."

Third child. Had something like senior pictures taken Friday. I let her stay home Friday to prepare for the 2:30 appointment. It was the first day she has missed this year, so I didn't feel too bad about that. (I remember when she was little; she was sick so often, and I worried about attendance all the time. This is no longer a concern--a real perk to the growing up process, I might add.)

In the morning, we went to IHOP for breakfast. Mid-meal, I reached for the syrup for my blueberry pancakes and inadvertently poured coffee on them instead. I lost it, but #3 maintained her cool and did not even bat an eye at her mom or crawl under the bench seat. This is a sure sign of maturity and restraint.

At the studio, mid-photo shoot, I broke into silent tears. This display came on the heels of just the day before my explaining to someone that I do not EVER cry when I am happy like you see women do on TV. I said, "I just don't react that way. Tears are for sadness." And then God laughed and made me cry the very next day out of joy and pride.

Yesterday I sat at the piano with #3, helping her to master the old "Spinning Wheel" song. To hear her play that song that I played when I was young and then switch to The Fray's "Never Say Never," which she has taught herself, much to my continued amazement, I was overcome with pride and love again. Did not cry, though. Apparently, pride crying is for public display!

And I can't forget my other proud moment with her when she told me that she had created a rap name for my 84 year-old mother, Lucille:

Lusizzle B.

Love those kids. They keep me in line, out of breath and amused. Who could ask or anything more? So back to the song:

All! All of the people around us they say
Can they be that close?
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose.


So how about it, Mommys--did you have a special moment this weekend you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment