Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tick, Tick, Tick ... On the Subject of Waiting

1. How good are you at delaying gratification?

I'm good when someone's watching. It's when I'm alone at night and there are snackies around that I cave. So a good thing for me to do would be to not have snackies around. That would be good, wouldn't it. Not happening.

2. Maybe a marshmallow wouldn't be too difficult a temptation for you. What food (or anything else) would be most tempting?

Food: No bake chocolate/peanutbutter/oatmeal cookies, cashews.
Other: Internet. Facebook and Blogging are guilty pleasures. And time wasters. But I wuv them.

3. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being saintly) how patient are you?

Actually, I think in most things I'm pretty patient. I award me an 8 in a lavish ceremony where I'm wearing a crown and a fur stole.

4. Have you ever waited for something in life only to be disappointed upon realization of the goal/object/etc.?

Conferences usually let me down. I think it's because there's so much hype from the organizations before you go that there's nowhere left to do but deflate.

Plus I've ordered and waited for clothes before that disappointed.

As for the bigger things in life, no. It's all been good. Especially those 3 nine-month waiting periods.

5. Are you a person who takes shortcuts?

Yes. One bad one is cutting through parking lots when I don't want to wait on a red light.

I tend to also take shortcuts with recipes. That doesn't always work out well.

I take shortcuts through buildings when I'm going from one to the other at work.

The best shortcut device ever: Tivo, which lets you shortcut through commercials!

6. Which line is hardest to wait in?

Customer service lines ... especially at the dreaded Wowmart. Shudder.

7. Did you wait to discover the gender of your unborn child until its birth?

Yes, and I was and am so glad that I did. This is one cultural change that has never worked for me--knowing the gender in advance. Maye I saw too many TV shows when I was kid where a pristine, pink baby was held up by the doctor announcing in a game show host voice, "IT'S A ... WHATEVER!" What a huge thrill it was for me each and every time. I would not trade those moments for anything! Truly 3 of the happiest moments of my life.

8. Are you more patient with children or the elderly?

At this point, probably the elderly, although with the very young I think I would be super patient still. I think from 6 years to about 15 is pretty difficult to be patient with.

9. Did you ever sneak a peek at a present?

Don't think so. That would've broken some rule, and unless it's cutting through parking lots or cheating on diets, I generally don't break rules.

10. What is the longest you've ever waited for anything?

Probably to be with my husband, in the honeymoon sense. Was that too personal? Woopsie.
Also, I think I waited, like, 87 years to be published the first time and in between.

11. Who has more patience, you or your significant other?

I do.

12. Which of the following songs about waiting is your pick for the best? (OK, you may substitute another, if you like.)

A) Anticipation by Carly Simon
B) The Waiting by Tom Petty
C) Right Here Waiting for You by Richard Marx
D) Wait for Me by Rebecca St. James


I choose Carly.

Thanks for playing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment