Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Luck O' The Twelve Fer Me


1. On a scale of 1-10, how superstitious are you, honestly?

Zero. Honestly. My mother, however, was apparently raised in a band of gypsies or simply went to their inculcation school. She has all of these weird superstitious sayings that are totally hilarious--If you bump heads, for instance, she says that's a sign you're going to sleep together. ! What?? Only she means it in the traditional Little House on the Prairie Innocent way. If you drop a spoon, that means somebody's coming for a visit, etc. I cannot even begin to list them all here. I was never allowed to count the cars in a train, rock an empty chair or open an umbrella in the house. OH, sweet freedom, how I'm glad I'm not superstitious.

2. Julius Caesar is quoted as saying, "I came, I saw, I conquered." Which circumstance or experience of yours does this saying best describe?

Any time I clean a closet I have this glorious, victorious feeling. But the ultimate moment for this is a long run.

3. If I peeked in on your day like a mischievous little leprechaun, at what time would I most likely find you blogging?

Lately, the evening, around 8 or 9. I am much more clever and alert in the mornings, however, which might explain my last few months of sluggish posts. But I'm only one woman, so I've got to post when I can.

4. Re springing forward for Daylight Saving Time, is there anything you've ever been really early or really late for?

Technically, it wasn't me who was late, but the first child of mine? She was due August 28, 1986, and arrived September 11, 1990. No, it just felt like years, but it was indeed a monstrously long overdue period. They do not let pregnancies drag on like that in the fancy world you people birth 'em in nowadays. If only Dr. Welby had induced me.

5. What are you most looking forward to concerning Spring?

Running outside.

6. Shamrocks are the national flower of Ireland and are picked on St. Patrick's Day and worn on the lapel or shoulder. Do you wear green on St. Patty's Day?

I am typing this on St. Patty's day, and I am wearing black. And only one person is allowed to pinch me today, Jorge the Jabanero :)

7. One of Caesar's assassins, Casca, said, "But, for my own part, it was Greek to me," which of course means he didn't understand something. Probably his own lines in the play. Anyway, what is something that is "Greek to you," something incomprehensible or indecipherable?

I could offer such an exhaustive list. But I will say: most sports, fractions, why there are so many meetings at work, why my dog barks at me when I enter my own home, Wallstreet (stole that), how to navigate an airport, why people rely on curse words to attempt humor, theatrical musicals. There. That list will do for today.

8. Is March behaving more like a lion or a lamb where you live?

Lamby-poo.

9. "An extra yawn one morning in the springtime, an extra snooze one night in the autumn is all that we ask in return for dazzling gifts. We borrow an hour one night in April; we pay it back with golden interest five months later." -Winston Churchill. If you had one extra hour per day every day, what would you do with it?

Run/write/hang out with my friends. If my kids wanted to hang out, I'd say that, but they're not that into me, so run/write.

10. Legend says that every Leprechaun has a pot of gold hidden deep in the Irish countryside. Aside from real gold or money, what material item would be in your dream pot of gold?

Shoes and handbags. Or handbags and shoes. NO-wait! Starbucks cards! NO--SHOES and Starbucks cards! Arrgh!

11. "The best things are nearest: breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of God just before you." Robert Louis Stevenson. Look around you right now and tell us about something essential or beautiful very near you that you take for granted every day.

Mobility. Just being able to get up and walk around is HUGE. I take my vehicle for granted sometimes. And I LOVE my bed, but I do not take it for granted. Almost every night I thank God for my bed, no kidding. Finally, the big blue sky. I love it.

12. Just for a bit o' fun, click here (www.blogthings.com/irishnamegenerator/) and then report your Irish name.

Mine is "Zoe O'Sullivan." I love it! Zoe was the first name I got, but I went back and re-hit it several times just for fun. Love it.

I hope you had a great Random this week. I thank you for playing along even if I didn't get around to visit you. I see you there and appreciate you. I hope it generates traffic for you.

Come back and visit. I promise to stop writing my post titles in weird "Irish." Or Gaelic. I will stop. Now. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment