Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wait a minute, Mr. Postman!

While on a leisurely stroll with my mother one summer day, something caught my eye as we were walking past a garbage pit....gingerly dodging freshly "planted" cow pies! Did I mention this walk was in my parents' pasture behind their farm? Anywho...we changed direction and headed over to said pit to check out the potential treasure just ahead. What I found was the base of an old cast iron mailbox, with the perfect amount of rust on its once white patina. It took me a minute to realize what it was, and several more minutes to muscle it out of the pile! Well worth the effort, don't you think?



Once I decided I had to have this baby, I had to walk back to my vehicle (10 miles, uphill both ways) and drive to the nearest gate....then came the "hoisting" magic trick my mom and I concocted to get it in my car. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit...but it is heavy.

Once home and cleaned up (you can't imagine what I found inside....remember, we're in a pasture!) I added a layer of rubber cement to the top rim and put some scrapbooking paper on top of that. With a purchased glass piece from a hobby store, it makes the perfect accent table in my bedroom, where it prominently displays a pic of my mom and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment