Sunday, July 27, 2008

Nia's 25th Anniversary



Nia has been a great gift in my life. I still remember the moment I first encountered Nia. Along with some other coaches I had rented a booth at the Yoga Show. Someone came to tell me that they thought I would like the demo that was going on and should check it out. I snuck a peak and instantly felt tears spring to my eyes. I knew this was for me. I was in class the next week and in my White Belt training the next month.

This summer marks the 1-year anniversary of my beginning to teach Nia. I was inspired to teach one day while volunteering at a Nia demo. While the demonstration was going on, I was handing out flyers. I watched as women stopped in their tracks and were mesmerized. The yearning in the room was palpable. I watched as a woman in a wheelchair started to dance along with the entire upper part of her body, grinning ear to ear. I knew that there had to be more opportunities for people to experience this, and I began teaching right away.

There are many words to describe Nia: joy, pleasure, health, movement, magic... I hope that the video will help you imagine what it would be like to be in a Nia class. When I watch this particular video from India, I recognize my own experience in class. This feels like home to me.

  • If you're in Canada, you can find a class near you by visiting NIAC.
  • For all other locations (and Canada too), you can go to Nia HQ. They also have great resources ranging from a terrific newsletter to monthly teleclasses.
  • If you don't have a class near you, Nia now has a DVD workout called Unplugged.

Thank you, Nia, Debbie & Carlos for sharing 25 years of pleasure and joy with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment