Monday, November 12, 2007

The Success Principles ~ Principle 33


Principle 33 of Jack Canfield's Success Principles is transcend your limiting beliefs. As I work through and consider these principles, it is clear that there is a theme that underlies many of them: your thoughts affect your life. In this chapter Canfield posits that you can overcome any limiting belief and provides a 4-step process to support you in doing so.

Step 1
First, identify a limiting belief that you want to change. This one I find a bit challenging at times because I think the real limiting beliefs are the ones that you don't see, the ones that are a blindspot on your radar. Hmm... perhaps that's a limiting belief in itself. I'll choose that one as one I want to change. So, the belief I want to change is that the beliefs that most limit me are the ones I am not conscious off, making them impossible to change.
Step 2
The next step is to determine how these beliefs limit you. So for me, thinking that I can't identify my strongest limiting beliefs disempowers me greatly. It leaves me stuck and helpless against an invisible and thus unpenetrable wall.

Step 3
Then you decide how you want to be, act or feel. I want to believe that I can transcend my limiting beliefs even if I don't know what they are. (It surprises me that I didn't write down that I want to belive that I know and/or can know them all, but that's not what came out of my fingertips)

Step 4
The process ends with creating "a turanround statement that affirms or gives you permission to be, act or feel this new way." I guess I came up with mine already: I can transcend my limiting beliefs without knowing what they are.

Now, I don't know whether this statement is "true." And I don't know if it's going to in fact help me transcend my limiting beliefs. But I can tell you that whereas my previous take on the subject made me feel both hopeless and powerless, when I think of the new statement I feel like it's possible. And I bet that counts for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment