Saturday, November 17, 2007

Age


Ah, this week I'm pondering all the easy subjects: money, age, limiting beliefs. Actually, in a lot of ways I think age is a limiting belief. And that's why I don't tell people my age, and I don't ask people theirs. Ever. I just don't believe in it.

So imagine my surprise this week when it suddenly dawned on me that my age will show. I know, I know this isn't a revelation. We all get older. It's natural. And for the past few years I guess that's been bugging me. Maybe I won't tell my age but eventually my body will. And usually my body and I have a pretty good relationship, but that kind of made me feel betrayed.

I realize that in part it's because I have looked basically the same for a very long time. As a girl, I matured quickly. And as an adult I'm often perceived as younger than I am, mostly I think because I've got a lively spirit. But recently I look in the mirror and see that I'm changing. And to be a supergeek here it reminds me of that episode of Star Trek TNG when Deanna looks in the mirror and even though her reflection looks like her, she's terrified because she knows it's not.

There's something really weird about seeing a different me in the mirror. I've responded with panic, anger, denial, you know, all the things they say you go through. And then this week it hit me. It's going to happen. Fast or slow, sooner or later, I'm going to be older. In fact, the longer I'm blessed with life, the older I'm going to get. So it strikes me that railing against it is kind of foolish. The older I am, the more of life I've been lucky enough to experience. And hopefully that experience will help me learn how to do this aging thing gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment