Thursday, November 8, 2007

Strange fruit, my mom and me


Today I bought a grenadilla because I had never seen one before. Isn't it pretty? It caught my eye immediately and as I reached out to actually purchase it so we could try it at home I thought, "I'm just like my mom." When we were kids every now and again my mom would bring home some interesting fruit to try. I still remember the sharp and tart taste of star fruit. Yum! More recently she had us try stinky fruit (aka durian) - um, less of a favourite with me.

When we were kids, we'd pull out the encyclopedia (pre-Internet days) and look up the fruit and where it was from and learn even more. With the grenadilla I got on the net and didn't find too much. When I saw that it was also sometimes called passionfruit I got very, very excited.


On our honeymoon, Justin and I went to the Domenican Republic. I remember clearly the first time I saw a cut open passionfruit ripe for the eating. I thought it looked so horrible it must have gone bad. Eventually I got up the courage to eat it and LOVED it! I had passionfruit breakfast, lunch and dinner. They were smaller and from the outside didn't look like this beautiful grenadilla. But from the inside...


Doesn't that look cool? I was fascinated by the foozball inspired texture of the inside of the rind. And the inside, well, you can see what I mean about it taking courage to eat it.

Absolutely delicious. The grenadilla had a sweet, gentle flavour. I enjoyed every last bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment