Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homemade Caramel Corn





















This is from the hand-written, hand-copied recipe that my friend Diane's father, Merrill Gosnell, made at Christmas one year. She was weak that last Christmas, so he made it so that she could give all of us girls a bag of this wonderful caramel corn as gifts.

I just made this last night. I miss my friend. But I remember the things she enjoyed and loved. She loved giving gifts (like this treat), and she loved her parents. That is her dad in her hospital room in the 2nd picture. So this is a tribute to both sweet people.

3 to 3 1/2 quarts of air-popped white corn. *I used three bags of regular microwave popcorn. Could not find plain.*
1 c. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Spray a large brown grocery bag with Pam. Pour popped popcorn into bag.

In a 2 qt. bowl, combine sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil. Don't let it stick. This may take 2-3 minutes.

Remove and stir in soda. Should foam up.

Carefully pour this hot mixture into grocery bag of popcorn.

Close bag and shake well to coat popcorn.

Microwave on high 1 minute. Shake again.
Microwave 30 seconds and shake again.
Microwave another 30 seconds and shake again.

Pour out onto lined cookie sheet and cool.



You gave me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment