Monday, April 11, 2011

Foil Dinners


I recently made foil dinners for my birthday. The first time I made them was when Tia & I grilled some around a campfire a couple summers ago--on one of the hottest days of the year. I think it was 105 degrees or something?? We were dorks.

Foil dinners are so easy to make! And fun, too! The kids can get involved making their own---choosing whichever meat & veggies they prefer.

I used hamburger, but you can use whatever meat you want--cooking times will just vary. All you do is grab 2 pieces of foil, about 12 inches, & double them up. Shape a burger patty--salt & pepper it up--& place it (uncooked) in the middle of the foil. I would use a burger that doesn't have a lot of fat in it. 85/15 is what I used. Next, chop up all sorts of veggies. I used carrots, little red potatoes, & celery. What about asparagus? Zucchini? Onions? Etc. I cut them no bigger than 1". I also opened a can of green beans & sprinkled some of those on. What about canned corn? Canned peas? Etc.
I plopped all the veggies on top of the patty.

Now you'll open a can of cream-of-chicken soup & place 3 heaping spoonfulls on top of the veggies. Cream of mushroom soup would work too. (But I hate mushrooms! BLECK.)

Sprinkle everything with your favorite seasoning. I have a seasoning salt I like to use to flavor food. And also a mesquite burger seasoning which is quite yummy.

Meet two sides of the foil in half & fold down tightly. Fold the remaining ends up tigtly as well. Make sure the juices won't leak out.

Place the foil packets in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check after 45 minutes & see if the meat is cooked & the veggies are tender. It will be REALLY juicy & VERY hot!

I fit 8 packets in my oven--these make GREAT leftovers for lunch!
Try making foil dinners with strips of steak. Or, chicken tenders with veggies---sprinkled with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, & herbs. Mmmm...

Click HERE for some foil dinner recipes from Cooks.com
Happy Foiling & Munching!!


No comments:

Post a Comment