Friday, February 11, 2011

Showin' Some Love....Junk Style!

When I was thinking of a title for this post and throwing around ideas like "junky love" or "love, junk style" I kept thinking back to the show "Love, American Style!" Telling you that really dates me, but believe me.....I was really little back then and I don't remember anything about the show.....just the music at the beginning and the star-spangled heart. Anybody else remember the show?

Back to the topic at hand....love & junk! Was in Wally World picking up the usual household must-haves when I spotted the end-cap with the flowers. For $17 I picked up a dozen red roses, some seeded eucalyptus, and a bundle of tulips. Below are three quick and easy, very low cost (like the flowers) ideas to show that special junk lover how you feel!




In my box of doo-dads I happened to find this old drawer......must have come from some sort of storage cubby.


Even though it was pretty dirty, the potential was there, and that's all that counts!

I started by removing the label/drawer pull with my tool of choice....a vintage butter knife! Now I can stand it on end.



After cleaning the drawer, I added some dark walnut stain, and reattached the pull....to the new front side.




Frenched her up a bit by printing some sappy French phrase on scrapbook paper.




Insert an empty glass votive holder and plop in a few flowers and voila!





For option 2, I went to my local second hand store and came home with a 50 cent glass container.



I had some burlap ribbon and some red & white gingham check that I wrapped around the container and looped through a vintage butterfly hinge.







I added some vintage skeleton keys for some dangly visual interest. Kind of a "key to my heart" symbol....or is that cheesey?





The container for option three came from my shop du 'junque as well. It's a beat up old match holder. Once again, I inserted a clear glass votive holder to house the flowers....and keep them hydrated.





Next come the tulips and some more seeded eucalyptus. By this time I had almost forgotten it was still winter in ND!



Add one vintage music lyre, and we're done!














Showing your love doesn't have to cost a fortune! You are only limited my your imagination!
Happy Valentine's Day.....thanks for stopping by!!





I'm playing show 'n tell over here: Donna's SNS#68.
And here:

UndertheTableandDreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment