Thursday, February 24, 2011

Quilts for Friends We Haven't Met Yet

Recently some Facebook "friends" (who actually are real friends) became upset over something that had to do with the perceived belittling of Quilts of Valor.  Let the record show that I have nothing but admiration, respect and awe for this organization, its mission, and its actual accomplishments.  Another quilter I have known for many years has supported QOV longer than anyone else I know, and from time to time I send her "stuff" to use in her work for these soldiers. 

The turmoil came from a post about a television show where apparently a quilter/hoarder was publicly humiliated into pruning her considerable stash.  I did not see the show (I was busy sewing at the time, I suppose), nor did I see the initial post that caused the flap (and I do not use the term "flap" with any disrespect).  So I'm coming into this as a real outsider.

The problem, as I understand it, is that quilts made for Quilts of Valor were referred to as "charity quilts" and, as such, carried an inference -- for some people -- of shoddy workmanship and/or inferior quality fabric.  I didn't quite get it.    

I make quilts to give to people I know and quilts to keep.  I also sometimes make quilts to give away to people that I do not know, people who have had some sort of life-altering event and could use a little extra comfort.  I think of those quilts as charity quilts, to differentiate from those I give to people I know. I use the same quality of fabric and degree of care in my work for all of my quilts.  I wrote to a friend who was among the incensed and asked for clarification.  I asked her, "What language would you suggest for quilts that are given away to needy individuals, to people we don't know, or to special causes?  Charity means kindness, love, that kind of thing, doesn't it?  When I hear "charity quilt" I don't assume inferior workmanship and cheap fabric.  I think it is a quilt made for an unknown recipient out of love."

She wasn't offended, took my question seriously, and wrote back, 

     I think your understanding of the word is what I wish it was in the world, but I am afraid is not.
     "Taking charity" is, I think, seen as something to be avoided -- especially by those trying to maintain their personal pride and dignity.  IMO, "charity" is often seen as the transfer of unwanted/inferior/used goods from the "haves" to the "havenots", rather than as the synonym for "love" that Corinthians (?) would have us understand it.
     By extension, though I do not know this personally, I suspect that "charity quilts" have been characterized in the quilting world as somehow inferior in quality of fabric or workmanship, therefore creating the desire to distinguish QOV from those run-of-the-mill quilts.
      Perhaps, like "Quilts of Valor", other such quilts could be called "Quilts of Caring" or "Quilts of Love"?  

She's right, of course.  But isn't it a shame that such a fine word has morphed into something so shabby?



No comments:

Post a Comment