Friday, February 8, 2008

Why do we yearn for our art to be wanted?

I'm doing a lot of thinking this week - inspired by the naturopath, my upcoming Studio performance for Expressive Arts Therapy and my mentor, Sunny.


This week, Sunny encouraged me to consider expanding my thinking about something I'm developing into a piece that involved creating for others. At first I couldn't understand why she was suggesting it. Why would someone want that? And then this little creative spirit inside of me starting dancing and clapping and saying, "Really? Oh, yes, please. I'd love to do that for someone." And in that instant some block and lots of hurts seem to dissolve away.


As I travel the blogosphere it's clear how many people are aching for someone to see their work, their art, their creations and say, "That's magnificent. You are a such an artist. Could I buy that from you? I would so love to have that."


In my heart I think that some of it is the very human longing to be seen. Our creations are so intimately connected with ourselves that when they are witnessed and loved, we feel witnessed and loved.


What do you think motivates this yearning? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment