Monday, February 4, 2008

My Name Is...

In expressive arts therapy class today we worked with spoken word. It's amazing how the simplest thing can be compelling, touching, revealing, funny. We shared stories about their names. We created word poems with the colours we felt today. We created sculptures to express concepts and ideas. We shared. Let me share with you what I wrote about my name.

My name is...
My name is Jamie. My parents each independently chose it as their favourite name for a girl, perhaps one of the only things they ever agreed on. No one else ever had my name. It was mine, mine, mine.

Except the Bionic Woman, but she was cool.

And a Barbie doll made in the 70s, but she had a dog, and I wanted a dog, so she was cool.

I guess because no one ever had my name, I didn't need a last one. I was free of my clan, not tied to men's names. I didn't change my last name when I was married. It didn't matter much because I am Jamie. I am always Jamie.

No short forms.

No nicknames.

Well, my husband calls me little acorn, but that's not connected.

I'm Jamie.
I'm Ja-mie.
That's me.

What's the story of your name? I know Jana shared her story recently.
Note: Until February 13th you can sign up for my draw for a free email tarot reading as a part of the One World, One Heart Giveway. Sign up in the comments here.

No comments:

Post a Comment