Monday, August 25, 2008

The History of Colour


It's funny the things you remember. The things that both amp up and dampen a little piece of your spirit, those things that stay with you for years and years.

When I was a little girl, I thought that together, blue and green were the most magical colour combination in the entire world. I thought that all things blue and green were moody, delicious, inviting, intoxicating, enchanting and irresistable. I learned the word turquoise because it represented a blending of the two. I was in love.

And then someone, I think it was my dad, told me that blue and green clashed. That they, in fact, did not go together.
I was crestfallen. What had I misunderstood about the world? Did I have no taste? What did this mean about me?

I hadn't thought about the clashing story for years, until this weekend, at the Ex with my sister, this dazzling necklace caught my eye. In putting it around my neck and choosing it as mine, I reclaim my youthful love of blue and green, and I honour the sacredness of our preferences.

Do you have loves you want to reclaim?

No comments:

Post a Comment