Saturday, February 25, 2012

WA: Day 5

Today is party day!! And, actually, I spent most of the day with my family setting up everything at the church. And picking up the cakes. And all that frantic last minute stuff. 
Wow, it looks amazing. And I'm so thankful for the many hands to help. This is absolutely the best party I've ever helped plan for. It wouldn't have been possible without those extra hands. (And don't worry--I'll have a separate post with all the details!)
I think my grandmother was overhwelmed, but in a good way. How could she not know how special she is? I sure hope she realizes that now.
We had yummy spaghetti, with a choice of 4 sauces. Have you ever seen a giant pot of spaghetti noodles being stirred with a giant wooden oar? Because I can now say I have. It was so delicious.
After eating, my uncle Jim, the MC, introduced family that had planned on presenting my grandmother with something special. My mom & her 3 sisters quoted a poem. My sister-in-law sang a song. All the great-grandkids sang "You Are My Sunshine".  Me & my cousins performed a goofy cheerleading skit, where we got the crowd involved. (Thanks to my cousins Bree & Brad for jumping on board with my silly idea!) It was awesome, I might add.
Then, it was "open mic" time. Family & friends shared stories or memories or sweet words to my grandmother. It was such an amazing party. Full of love for this lady that we all cherish. Everyone also brought, as their gift, something they had written for grandmother. We kept these all in a binder for my grandma to keep.
After the party, my cousins & I headed down to the bowling alley to knock down some pins. I love those cousins of mine. I always have. I am floating right now being surrounded by all this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment