Friday, January 30, 2009

Secret #4: Surrendering to Creative Cycles

I call them the dark days.

I think of them as stormy weather systems rolling in. They build in the distance. I can feel the pressure change, sense that something's coming. Soon clouds descend and I'm full on in the midst of a mood. I've made a study of this particular weather phenomenon. Here is what I've learned.

Characteristics of "The Mood"
  • appearance of soul-gripping doubt
  • heart-stabbing, knife-turning jealousy
  • tendency to anger combined with desire to be verbally venomous
  • disinterest in anything remotely resembling productivity
  • complete denial of all positive indicators in favour of any and every negative sign
  • patience meter reads 'empty'
  • hypersensitivity to criticism
  • fear, fear, fear, fear
Mood Predictors

Over time, I've discovered that storm patterns do have some key indicators. These dark days often arrive:
  • when I'm not expressing myself creatively
  • when something finishes
  • the Tuesday before my period
  • when I haven't had enough "me" time
  • when I haven't had enough time with my honey
  • after a disappointment
  • when I'm overtired, overextended, mired in detail
  • when there's something I need to say
  • when I'm stuck in unending, repetitive routine
  • when I'm undecided
  • on the bridge
  • and most often - for no discernible reason at all
Mood Survival

I've learned that these storms are part of my own personal landscape, the natural weather patterns of Jamie.

To weather the storms I...
  • Come back to routines that I know work: morning pages and journaling
  • Move my body. Walks and Nia work really well for me.
  • Eat vitamin-rich foods... and chocolate.
  • Admit I'm in a mood.
  • Talk it out.
  • Indulge in a pyjama day.
  • Watch a tear-inspiring movie.
  • Change something.
  • Let myself feel what I feel.
What's the weather system like in your personal landscape?

No comments:

Post a Comment