Thursday, March 25, 2010

Flashback Friday




What was Easter like when you were little? For example, did you receive a basket with toys and candy? Was the Easter Bunny part of your family's celebration? Did your family integrate both secular and spiritual aspects of the day? Did you dye Easter eggs. . . .and did your family eat them afterwards? Did you usually get a new outfit? (Post a picture if you have one!) Does any Easter stand out particularly? You might also share how your Easter today is similar or different to your childhood?

Easter was a wonderful holiday for me when I was little. I was reared in a home of faith, so going to church and remembering the meaning of Easter was important.

Now that that important stuff is out of the way, let me just say I also loved Easter for the "most wrong" of reasons: les bonbons.

My mom was not the sentimental type when I was young. She bought the dime store baskets woven of plastic straw wrapped in cellophane, which, looking back seems kind of disappointing considering all I did for my kids in the way personalizing each basket which they've had assigned to them since their first Easters.

But I am not my mom.

Not yet, anyway. But give me a couple of years because every day I'm becoming her more and more. Just ask my husband.

Anyway.

I have to admit I loved my ugly yearly baskets. So thank you, Mother.

Also, I have an affinity for pastels, so Easter decor and colors appeal to me, except for the Peeps. I cannot do Peeps.

Every Easter my mom would buy me a new church outfit, usually a dress with matching hat, gloves and purse. Oh, and anklets and white patent-leather type shoes that went "tip tap" when I walked across the kitchen linoleum.

That enchanting "tip tap" almost catapulted me into my tap dancing career, except dancing was against the law in my church of origin, so I didn't get far. In fact, I only got as far as the church sidewalk where the adults gathered after church for talk for 17 hours. With a little blonde heretic tap dancing around them.

The best Easter I ever had was the year aliens invaded my mother's body, and she somehow decided to give my brother and me two live chicks and a duckling, which we kept in a cardboard box for a couple of weeks. Heaven for a few weeks. I LOVE baby chickens.

So here are some pics from Easters past. I will probably do a post closer to Easter to comment on the Easter finery. For now, simply gaze upon the awkward family photos.






Thanks, Linda, at Mocha With Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment