Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mercy Quilt #3

Kathy B's Brown and Cream Churn Dashes are a flimsy! I discovered I had some creamy fabric with a pale geometric motif (click to enlarge picture) that would be not only fine but actually just right for the setting triangles. As you can see, I really could not endure that sore thumb block that had been in the lower left corner, so I left it out and made a nice replacement. Setting a top on point with lattice and cornerstones is always a logistical challenge for me and I was delighted that I got this one together without having to rip out at all!

Kathy had sent fabric for backing, so I'll piece that tomorrow, I imagine. On Saturday I'll pick up the batts for these three mercy quilts as well as some floss for tying and whatever else I need in the way of backs. I don't anticipate putting these quilts together until summertime, but that's just around the corner and I need to be ready! I have a fantasy of a major binding fest during the Summer Olympics!

Tonight I began work on something new. Our guild is having a challenge -- each participant brought a plain brown paper bag full of scraps from one project and, sight unseen, we each brought home someone else's bag. Our task is to make a wall hanging, somewhere between 12 and 36 inches, using these scraps and we're permitted to add up to one light and one dark. There will be some sort of a contest with prizes, I believe, in October. The scraps I brought home were pretty far from my taste; they were brown and gold florals for the most part with a lot of metallic gold in the print. I've been considering the options for weeks, now, and finally have come up with an idea. I began the center basket (what else!?) tonight and will try to continue until it is finished. It isn't at all easy for me to sew on fabric that I don't care for.

No comments:

Post a Comment