Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cracked, chipped and wrinkled...now that's MY curtain style!




Confession.

I've had a long time love affair with ironstone pitchers.




I've been given a few as gifts.  And the rest I collected from auctions and garage sales.  And I must say, I don't recall spending over $20 on any of them. 

Most were around the $5-10 mark...because I prefer crazing, cracks and chips.  Yup that's me.



I gathered them up the other day.  And when I stood back to snap a few pictures of them, I realized how bare the windows look.  I'm really not a fan of curtains so hadn't gone about putting any up.


Brainstorm.  Lightbulb.  Whatever you want to call it!

Measured the windows...exactly 36 inches.  Hmmm.

Dare I say lightbulb number 2?


I had two chunky yardsticks that very same length.  Who'd a thunk it?!



Problem.  The bottoms of some of the pitchers are, well, less than desireable to look at.


That's better.


I just hung them at random lengths with burlap ribbon.  Yum.





Now, as long as we're talking about curtains.  Well, heck, I was on a roll...why mess with that!

So I decided to try that old trick, "make the windows look bigger by hanging the curtains to the side".

I used canvas painter's dropcloth.  I've watched this in web-world and just love the look! 

I used a 4' x 15' piece and simply cut it in half.  I washed, dried, and pressed the raw edged over for the curtain clips.  And since the other three sides were factory finished, no sewing involved.  YAY.


There are a few wrinkles.  But I have wrinkles too and my friends still like me.

And turns out there was a seam at the midpoint of one panel.  Character, right?

They also didn't end up being either window length or floor length, but that will do for now, because I think there may soon be some changes to this wall anyway.

    

BEFORE:


AFTER:




That will have to do for curtains for now.  I'm exhausted.  (wink)

Linked to:


No comments:

Post a Comment