Wednesday, July 11, 2007

DIY Entertainment Club

Recently Shannon and I were talking about how rarely we buy books, movies and CDs. (Truth be told I buy a lot of books but not fiction for quite a while) It suddenly occurred to me that you could create your own version of a "book of the month club." And that's exactly what we've decided to do. My plan is to put aside a bit of money so that at the end of the month I can buy myself either a book, a CD or a DVD. It's like a DIY Entertainment Club.

I started this month. A bit of extra money let me start off with a bang. I have to admit I did go with a business book, Growing a Business by Paul Hawken. You know, once I realized that building a business was a creative project, I've been obsessed! I also bought Kim Delmhorst's Songs for a Hurricane because when I heard the song Waiting Under the Waves on Pandora, I couldn't get it out of my head.

By the way, I just have to express how disappointed I am that services like Pandora are no longer available to Canadian listeners. More and more American internet content is being restricted to viewing/listening within the US. One perhaps unconsidered response to that is that more of us will turn to the rest of the world to see what's happening. There's lots of compelling work being created, like this fantastic CD that rounds out my DIY list by Sara Tavares, a Portuguese artist that a fellow Nia teacher recommended. It's a real treat.

Why not create your own DIY Entertainment Club? What would your first indulgence be?

No comments:

Post a Comment